Needless to say, there are a lot of storylines heading into Super Bowl 50. You would have watched the NFL like a hawk all season to understand everything that is happening. If you are going to a Superbowl party or you are going to see friends on Monday, you’ll likely want to contribute to a conversation about the big game. So, instead of forcing you to do countless hours of research and listening to obnoxious sports radio, here are the top stories that you’ll want to know about Super Bowl 50.
Panthers Vs. Broncos
The Carolina Panthers are set to square off against the Denver Broncos on February 7. Both teams are the number one seeds from their respective conferences, but the Panthers are the heavy betting favorites, predicted to win by six points, in Vegas. The Panthers have easily marched their way through Seahawks and Cardinals to the Superbowl. The Broncos had more struggles through the post-season. They had an average margin of victory of just 4.5 points, whereas the Panthers average margin of victory in the playoffs was 20.5 points.
Panther Fans: We have the number one offense in the league and our defense is elite. Cam Newton is uncontainable. He can scramble and run or stay in the pocket and throw touchdowns to his receiving weapons. Our defense is incredibly skilled in forcing turnovers, so they will be able to intercept the older Peyton Manning. Then, our offense will be able to turn those interceptions into points. If our defense can force the Broncos to make mistakes, the Panthers will win.
Bronco Fans: We have the number one defense in the league. They will be able to get to Cam Newton and sack him. Our pass defense is one of the best of all time, the Panther receivers won’t have a chance to get open. If we can keep Newton from running the wall well, then we will shut down their offense. Our offense has struggled, but Peyton Manning is so smart that he will be able to decipher the Carolina defense. If Manning relies on the defense and doesn’t throw an interception, the Broncos will win.
Cam Newton: The Panther’s quarterback, Cam Newton has been the center of a lot of controversies this season. Many have had issues with Newton’s celebrations after his team scores. His critics call his dances over the top, cocking, and off-putting. The issue of race has also been brought up in conversation. Many believe that Newton is receiving harsh criticism for his actions due to the fact that he is an African-American quarterback.
Peyton Manning: The Bronco’s quarterback, Peyton Manning has long been rumored to retire after this season, these rumors gained traction when Manning was overheard telling Patriots coach, Bill Belichick, that this may be his “last rodeo”. Many are rooting for the veteran play-caller to “ride off into the sunset” with another Super Bowl title.
Things to Know:
- The Broncos will be wearing white uniforms in Super Bowl 50. Denver is 0-4 in previous Superbowl appearances when wearing orange.
- Thomas Davis, a Panther linebacker, has said that he will play in the Superbowl even though he suffered a broken forearm two weeks before the Super Bowl date of February 7.
- Manning was the number one overall draft pick in the 1998 NFL draft. Newton was the number one overall draft pick in the 2011 NFL draft. This is the first time that two number one draft picks have met in the Superbowl.
- Manning is an underdog in a Super Bowl for the first time in his career.
- The Panthers have never won a Super Bowl in franchise history.
- The halftime entertainer will be the band Coldplay. Coldplay is expected to be joined by Bruno Mars and Beyonce to perform.
- Super Bowl 50 tickets range from about $3,500 to $450,000.
- The age difference between Newton and Manning (13 years) will be the largest difference of age between starting quarterbacks in Super Bowl history.